Small, but mighty – grains are a big commodity in Virginia with many acres devoted to wheat, barley, and oats that are destined for bread, crackers, and livestock feed along with other uses.
Read on to find more about these important crops as well as fun classroom activities such as making Bread in a Bag or an Animal Care Farm Charm. You’ll also learn what makes grain pollination unique from other crops and identify the natural, human and capital resources involved in making tortillas.
Sign up for our newsletter list and receive AITC's latest newsletters straight to your inbox!
- School Gardens (Spring 2017)
- Peanuts (Spring 2016)
- Seasons and Cycles on the Farm (Fall 2016)
- Dairy (Spring 2015)
- Ethanol (Fall 2015)
- Farm Machines (Spring 2014)
- Grocery Stores (Fall 2014)
- Produce (Spring 2013)
- Pumpkins (Fall 2013)
- Farmers' Markets (Spring 2012)
- Poultry (Fall 2012)
- Literacy Connections (Fall 2011)
- Soil (Spring 2011)
- Woolly Animals (Fall 2010)
- Health and Nutrition (Spring 2010)
- Bees (Spring 2009)
- Apples (Fall 2008)
- Scots-Irish-German (Spring 2008)
- Christmas Trees (Fall 2007)
- Class Garden (Spring 2007)