New York Agriculture in the Classroom Scholarship
Earn a scholarship to attend the National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference in Portland, Maine!
Join New York Agriculture in the Classroom for the premier professional development conference about teaching through a lens of food and agriculture. Sixty teachers from across the state will be selected for an expenses-paid attendance to the National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference in downtown Portland, Maine. Teachers from across the nation will gather to learn from skilled presenters, engaging keynote addresses, and from each other.
Once every four years the National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference in held in the eastern region of the United States. Our hope is that with the close proximity to New York, we are able to inspire and expose as many teachers as possible to the variety of ways to include agriculture into our schools for years to come. Let us support you in your food system education endeavors through this scholarship with a per teacher value of $1,100.
National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference
Tuesday, June 26-Friday, June 29, 2018
Scholarship applications are due April 23, 2018.
Click here to submit your scholarship application.
Conference highlights will include:
- Traveling workshops highlighting aquaculture, school gardens, local food systems, the farmer's market system, food-business incubators, and more!
- Experiential-learning based workshops featuring teachers and agricultural literacy specialists sharing new lessons and innovative projects to incorporate agriculture as a vehicle for learning. An example of workshops includes:
- Technology and Engineering of STEM using Aeroponics
- Global Agriculture Adventures
- Keeping Honeybees in Your School
- Thinking Critically about Farming, Food, and Sustainability
- Dig It: Writing in School Gardens
- Saving Seeds to Preserve History and Biodiversity
- Explore more workshops and descriptions here!
- Keynote speakers
- National winning teachers share their classroom stories to serve as inspiration to conference attendees
Included in the scholarship, winning teachers will receive:
- National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference Registration
- Conference meals included
- With three pick-up locations along the NYS Thru-Way
- Double Occupancy Hotel
- 28 hours of CTLE Professional Development Credit
- Scholarship value of $1,100
- Certified Pre-K through 12 teachers; all subject areas
- Currently teaching in a NYS school
- Planning to teach in the 2018-19 school year
- Interest in increasing comfort level when teaching about and through agriculture
- Commitment to identifying resources to integrate agriculture into core content and instruction
- Teachers will be selected by a team of judges.
- Applications will be evaluated against other applicants of the same geographical region.
- It is the hope to have all regions of the state represented as scholarship recipients.
- Judges will include agricultural literacy specialists, regional Farm Bureau representatives, and former teachers who have attended the National AITC Conference.
- Optional: Up to two supporting documents may be included, not to exceed 10 MB. Supporting documentation may include:
- Letter of Support from school administration, local Farm Bureau
- Examples of student work from past projects or experiences
- Captioned photos of students engaged in a lesson, project, or farm visit.
For additional information about the scholarship, please contact Katie Carpenter at email@example.com.