State Summary 2017 — Virginia
- Sprouting Success Curriculum
- Virginia Agriculture in the Classroom Facebook page
- What's Growing on in Virginia Newsletters
- Agriculture is Everywhere Resource Kit
Major Program Accomplishments or Outputs
- Agriculture is Everywhere Project
- Agriculture Literacy Week Activities
- Summer Professional Development Series
- Pre-Service Collaborations with Universities
- School Grants Program
- Adopt A Teacher Program
Major Program Impacts or Outcomes
- 92% of educators participating in professional development and pre-service education plan to share our curriculum
- 85% of participating educators state our resources are useful materials and plan to implement in their classrooms.
- 87% of program participants report a positive change in their perception of agriculture and importance in their daily life
- Over 200,000 children were impacted through our program learning about how agriculture is integral to their daily lives.
- 3000 educators and volunteers learned methods to connect children to agriculture
Tammy Maxey joined Virginia Farm Bureau’s Agriculture in the Classroom the program in 2006. As Sr. Education Manager she serves and the educational leader. Her achievements in Virginia include authoring two agriculture literacy books for the program. Tammy is a master educator serving as an elementary and middle school teacher and as a middle school principal.
She holds a Post-Master’s Certificate in Principalship from Virginia Commonwealth University and a B.S. degree in Special Education. In addition she holds a M.S. degree from Virginia Tech in Vocational Technical Education.
Tammy has been active on the national level with NAITCO and currently serves as a Southern Region Representative and NAITCO Treasurer. Additionally she serves on the American Farm Bureau Foundation Board as the Agriculture in the Classroom representative.
Tammy and her husband Greg operate a beef cattle farm in Amelia, Virginia.